“Don’t doubt me. I go bring home Grammy” are the words of 9ice in ‘Street Credibility ft. 2face’ when he promised to win the prestigious award. A promise he is yet to keep. Another promise un-kept is when Skales said “I’m heading for a Grammy”.
The history of Nigerian music and the Grammys is an almost non-existent one as only one Nigerian has ever won a Grammy and it is Kevin Olusola of the ‘Pentatonix’ acapella group for the ‘Arrangement, Instrumental or acappella’ category for their medley ‘Daft Punk’, a remake of Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky. And he is not based in Nigeria or the Nigerian music Industry.
The only other person that has come close enough is Femi Kuti who has been nominated four times for the grammy award in the world music category in 2003, 2010, 2012 and 2013 but has never won it. But he has been given a Grammy ‘medal’ for his 4th nomination.
Another Nigerian nomination is Chimamanda Adichie’s for her work on Beyonce’s ‘Flawless’.
Now I will jump into the list of people I think have the potential to finally win one for us.
- Femi Kuti: With the most nominations, Femi is the obvious contender. Hopefully, he will finally get a win.
- 2face Idibia: 2face has won tons of awards; both local and international and he stands a good chance of getting what many people consider the most important music award.
- Dare Art Alade: Popularly known as Darey is a Nigeria multi-platinum selling and award winning musician, singer-songwriter, and idol series judge. With one of the best vocal abilities and a very great sound, Dare has created potential for himself. With his new album ‘Naked’ which features Grammy – Winning group ‘Soweto Gospel Choir’ on the song ‘Pray For Me’ off the album.
- Asa: Asa is a Nigerian-French singer, and a Recording Artist. She has won a lot of awards including “French Music Awards” for the female artist of the year in 2011. She has a lot of potential as she does really good music and is respected internationally.
- Brymo: Brymo is another artiste I believe is a contender for the Grammy award. First because he does Word music in which category Femi Kuti has been nominated. He does really great and artistic music and with his recent signing to American label, TMG and release of an International Album ‘Trance’, I believe he has a shot.